The Philippines is a mountainous country with low lying coastal regions. It was named in honor of King Phillip II of Spain by Spanish explorer Ruy Lopez de Villalobos, who visited some of the islands in 1543. The Philippines enjoys a tropical climate and is prone to monsoons. Did you know that the Philippines produces and exports more coconuts than any country in the world? Or, that the Philippines is the world’s second largest archipelago? Manila, located on Luzon, the largest island, is the capital and ranks as the city with the highest population density in the world. Take our Philippines population quiz to learn more!
1. In 2016 Philippines’s population was 102.6 million. What is Philippines’s population projected to be in 2050?
A. 138.7 million
B. 148.7 million
C. 158.7 million
D. 168.7 million
2. The Philippines ranks as the ___ most populous country in the world.
3. The Philippines is considered an archipelago. What is an archipelago?
A. A collection, or group of closely scattered islands
B. A piece of land that is surrounded by water on three sides and still connected to a mainland
C. A pointed piece of land that sticks out into the sea
D. A narrow strip of land connecting two larger landmasses and surrounded by water on two sides
4. Where is the Philippines located?
A. Southeast Asia
B. Western Asia
C. East Asia
D. Central Asia
5. How many languages are spoken in the Philippines?
A. Between 1 – 50
B. Between 51 – 100
C. Between 100 – 150
D. Between 151 – 200
6. The Philippines was originally a _______ colony and gained its independence in 1946.
7. Manila is home to 1/8 of the entire nation’s population.
8. What is the fertility rate in the Philippines?
9. What percentage of married women (ages 15 – 49) are using some method of contraception?
10. What was the per capita GDP in 2017?
1. B – In 2050 the Philippines population is projected to be 148.7 million.
2. D – According to the CIA World Factbook, the Philippines is the 13th most populous country in the world.
3. A – An archipelago is a collection, or group of closely scattered islands. The Philippines is an archipelago that consists of 7,641 islands.
4. A – The Philippines is located in Southeast Asia.
5. D – There are between 151 – 200 languages spoken in the Philippines.
6. C – The Philippines was originally a Spanish colony, and then became a US territory. The Philippines declared its independence from Spain in 1898 and from the US in 1946.
7. A -True
8. B – 2.8. The total fertility rate, or the average number of children a woman would throughout her child-bearing years (usually 15 to 49), of the Philippines is 2.8.
9. C – 55% of married women in the Philippines are using some method of contraception.
10. A – The GDP, or gross domestic product, is the measure most economists prefer when looking at per-capita welfare and when comparing living conditions or use of resources across countries. In the Philippines the GDP per capita in 2017 was $8,200.