China is one of the world’s largest countries, both by land mass and population. It has a rich and fascinating history and has made great contributions to society. Did you know that Emperor Qin Shi Huang ordered the construction of the Great Wall in the third century BCE as a way to prevent invasions from barbarian nomads into the Chinese Empire? Or, that an imperial census counted approximately 60 million people in the country in the year 1 CE? Take our China population quiz to learn more!
1. In 2016 China’s population was 1.378 billion. What is China’s population projected to be in 2050?
A. 1.344 billion
B. 1.545 billion
C. 2.213 billion
D. 2.503 billion
2. True or False: Of the world’s current 10 most populous countries, China’s is the only population that is projected to decrease by 2050?
3. China is the world’s _____ largest country in terms of land area and the largest country situated entirely in Asia.
4. Where is the vast majority of China’s population found?
A. In the North
B. In the South
C. In the West
D. In the East
5. True or False: In 2016, China was the world’s most populous country?
6. Judging from the population pyramid below, which was the largest age group in China in 2016?
A. 0-14 years
B. 15-24 years
C. 25-54 years
D. 55-64 years
E. 65 years and over
7. What day is the anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China?
A. July 4
B. October 1
C. October 31
D. December 24
*Bonus, in what year was the People’s Republic of China founded?
8. What percentage of China’s population lives in urban areas?
9. China surpassed the United States as the world’s biggest carbon dioxide emitter in 2007. Since then China has pledged to put a peak on its growing carbon dioxide emissions by the year 2030. Which fossil fuel is largely responsible for China’s high emissions?
A. Crude oil
C. Natural gas
10. As of _____ many couples in China are now allowed to have two children, after the country decided to lift its one-child policy.
1. A – In 2050 China’s population is projected to be 1.344 billion.
2. B – False. While China’s population is projected to decrease by 2050, so is Russia’s (from 144 million in 2016 to 136 million in 2050).
3. C – China is the world’s fourth largest country in terms of land area.
4. D – An overwhelming majority of the population is found in the eastern half of the country. The west is sparsely populated due to vast mountainous and desert areas.
5. A – True, China is the world’s most populous country. However, by 2050, projections estimate that India will surpass China as the world’s most populous country with a population of 1.708 billion.
6. C – The largest age group in China is 25-54 years. This age band accounts for 48.2% of the population with the following sex breakdown: male 339,183,101/female 325,836,319.
7. B – National Day or, the anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, is October 1, 1949.
8. A – 56% of Chinas population lives in urban areas. Major urban areas include, Shanghai with 23.741 million inhabitants; Beijing 20.384 million; Chongqing 13.332 million; Guangdong 12.458 million; Tianjin 11.21 million; Shenzhen 10.749 million (as of 2015).
9. B – Coal. China has large coal reserves landing it at third in the world in terms of total coal reserves behind the United States and Russia.
10. D – As of January 2016 couples are allowed to have two children. The previous “one child policy” had been in place since 1979 and limited couples to having one child.