Air Pollution (Earth Matters unit)
This product is an individual unit from the high school curriculum Earth Matters. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase Earth Matters or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger Earth Matters curriculum.
Other Earth Matters units include: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Energy, Food and Hunger, Forests, Oceans, Personal Consumption, Population Dynamics, Public Health, Rich and Poor, Solid Waste, Urbanization, Water Resources, and The World’s Women.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- Acid Tests: Students test different pH solutions on radish seeds to determine the optimal level for seed germination and use the results to identify effects of acid rain.
- Clearing the Air: Students find articles about air pollution issues and use the information to create a class cause and effect chart of air pollution, as well as possible solutions.
- Gasping for Clean Air – An overview of how fossil fuel combustion creates unhealthful levels of several pollutants in the air we breathe.
Case Study Readings:
- Pollution: “Made in China” – Examine how China’s rapid industrialization in recent decades has led to unprecedented increases in coal combustion, endangering public health and the global environment, and forcing leaders to reexamine the country’s energy use.
- Cleaner Cookstoves: Combating Indoor Air Pollution – Learn about initiatives to tackle health problems of indoor air pollution in poor countries by providing households with cleaner burning cookstoves.