Energy (Earth Matters unit)
This product is an individual unit from the high school curriculum Earth Matters. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase Earth Matters or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger Earth Matters curriculum.
Other Earth Matters units include: Air Pollution, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Food and Hunger, Forests, Oceans, Personal Consumption, Population Dynamics, Public Health, Rich and Poor, Solid Waste, Urbanization, Water Resources, and The World’s Women.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- Lighting Up Lives – By taking on the role of a community member, students analyze how energy poverty impacts people living in Monrovia, Liberia and create an action plan for a sustainable solution.
- Energizing Policies – Students research an energy-related topic in the United States or Canada and consider possible alternatives, weighing costs and benefits in order to formulate a recommendation for the future.
- Getting Around – Students create and conduct a survey to identify a local transportation issue and develop a strategy to make their community less dependent on fossil fuels.
- The Energy Landscape– Global demand for energy has grown dramatically, resulting in more fossil fuel use. Yet, there are cleaner alternatives that may play a larger role in our energy future.
Case Study Reading:
- Germany: Solar Energy Leader– A profile of how Germany came to lead the world in solar power use.