Food and Agriculture (Earth Matters unit)
This product is an individual unit from the high school curriculum Earth Matters. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase Earth Matters or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger Earth Matters curriculum.
Other Earth Matters units include: Air Pollution, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Energy, Forests, Oceans, Personal Consumption, Population Dynamics, Public Health, Rich and Poor, Solid Waste, Urbanization, Water Resources, and The World’s Women.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- Earth: The Apple of Our Eye – An apple is sliced into pieces to model the current amount of agricultural land on Earth. Then students read an article about soil erosion and conduct outside research to create presentations on threats to soil health for an “ask the experts” soil fair.
- Good News, Bad News – Students decide whether given statements on population growth and food issues are “good news” or “bad news” and design an action plan for a food issue of their choosing.
- Feeding 10 Billion– Feeding an expanding global population and battling malnutrition among the world’s poor are challenges, especially as farmable land is used for other purposes and a changing climate affects food production.
Case Study Readings:
- Buzzing About Bees: The Mystery of Pollinator Decline– How are pollinators critical to our food supply, and why are their populations threatened?
- Farming in the City: A Crop of Urban Gardening Projects – A profile of some innovative urban gardening projects — like farming at baseball parks.