Health (Earth Matters unit)
This product is an individual unit from the high school curriculum Earth Matters. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase Earth Matters or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger Earth Matters curriculum.
Other Earth Matters units include: Air Pollution, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Energy, Food and Hunger, Forests, Oceans, Personal Consumption, Population Dynamics, Rich and Poor, Solid Waste, Urbanization, Water Resources, and The World’s Women.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- Catch it if You Can – Students mimic the spread of disease by exchanging liquids in test tubes in a hands-on simulation. They then graph and analyze data from the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone in 2014-2016, and watch and respond to short videos on the drivers of zoonoses and pandemics.
- Our Earth, Ourselves – Students create flowcharts that link environmental issues with human health issues.
- Unfair Race – Representing different countries, students step forward or backward based on health conditions in their borders, to find which countries have an advantage in a final “race for health.” They then analyze different visual data on health spending and health coverage around the globe.
- To Our Health – Explore how stresses to our global environment affect public health and nature’s potential to cure human disease.
Case Study Reading:
- A Healthier Rwanda: Progress for Mothers and Babies – Discover Rwanda’s successes in improving child and maternal mortality over the past 20 years.