Water Resources (Earth Matters unit)
This product is an individual unit from the high school curriculum Earth Matters. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase Earth Matters or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger Earth Matters curriculum.
Other Earth Matters units include: Air Pollution, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Energy, Food and Hunger, Forests, Oceans, Personal Consumption, Population Dynamics, Public Health, Rich and Poor, Solid Waste, Urbanization, and The World’s Women.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- Roll on Mighty River – Small groups of students take on the role of a stakeholder vying for water from the Colorado River and debate their position in a mock arbitration.
- Water, Water Everywhere – Students observe a brief demonstration on the distribution of the world’s water and then calculate how much water they use on a daily basis, both directly and indirectly.
- Troubled Water – The demand for fresh water increases as our population grows, yet many around the world still lack access to clean water and modern sanitation. This reading explores water supply and contamination issues here and around the world.
Case Study Readings:
- The Safe Water Challenge: Maintaining Clean Sources in Sub-Saharan Africa – Charitable programs building water wells in Sub-Saharan Africa have learned that providing sustainable water sources involves more than just drilling wells.
- The Shrinking Aral Sea: An Ecological Disaster – A profile of Asia’s Aral Sea, the reasons it is disappearing and how that is affecting the surrounding populations.