Sustainable Future (People & the Planet unit)
This product is an individual unit from the middle school curriculum People and the Planet. The unit includes a student background reading, six lesson plans, and summative assessment. Scroll down to see the list lessons plans and readings included in the unit. Purchase the unit now and you’ll immediately receive the unit as a PDF.
Note: If you’re planning to purchase People and the Planet or have already done so, you don’t need to purchase this unit as it is included within the larger People and the Planet curriculum.
Other People and the Planet units include: Air Pollution and Solid Waste; The History of Population Growth; Land Resources; Our Global Family; Population Concepts; Water Resources.
UNIT LESSON PLANS & READINGS
The following are included with the purchase of the unit:
- If Money Won’t Buy It – Students participate in a budgeting activity to weigh everyday actions against their environmental impact.
- For the Common Good – In two simulation games, students determine individual short-term consumption strategies that will maximize resources for the entire group.
- Eco-Ethics – Students examine their own values by considering various environmental dilemmas and evaluating how different reactions impact the planet.
- In Search of Sustainable Life – Students develop an index of the ten factors they identify as most important to a sustainable community and develop models for measuring those factors.
- Take a Stand – Students express their thoughts on issues related to population and the environment, then research a specific issue and write a position paper using evidence to defend their stance.
- In the News: Research for Tomorrow – Through planning, writing, and performing a news telecast, students use information from current events articles to create fact-based predictions about what their futures might look like.
- Making a Difference for People and the Planet – Sustainable thinking is key to ensuring a healthy planet in the years ahead. Students consider how today’s personal choices can have a positive impact on the future of our local and global communities, the natural environment, and the resources we depend on. Glossary included.
- Sustainability to the Rescue – Students create a comic strip about a Sustainability Super Hero of their own design to demonstrate ways we all can make a positive difference in the world. Rubric included.